2.03.2013

Books: Schroder

So I was reading People, and they really liked this book, gave it a great review. But when I read the description, it sounded to me like the author just took the Clark Rockefeller story and fictionalized it. You know, changed the names and "made it her own."

From what I read, Schroder is about a guy who lives under an assumed name and kidnaps his daughter after his wife gets custody. "Schroder" is the guy's real name; he's German. Well, "Clark Rockefeller" was really Christian Gerhartsreiter, also German. His true identity came out after he kidnapped his daughter because his wife had custody. So . . . Same story, right? More or less?

I'm not undercutting the author for using a sensational headline as a jumping off point. Television series do it all the time, especially the police procedurals. I was just surprised the review that so loved this book didn't bother to acknowledge the obvious parallels and likely source material. I'm sure the author is really good at putting words together or whatever (I haven't read the book, it comes out on Tuesday), but the plot isn't original to her. That's all I'm saying.

And there's nothing wrong with that, either. I write Sherlock Holmes stories, and the main characters there are certainly not original to me. But credit where it's due and all.

I might be interested in reading Schroder. Or I might just as easily go read a true account of the Clark Rockefeller/Christian Gerhartsreiter case. I suppose it would depend on whether I'm in the mood for nonfiction, or simply not-quite-fiction.

No comments: