12.31.2013

Movies: Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

Starring: Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, Paul Rudd
Directed By: Adam McKay
Written By: Will Ferrell and Adam McKay
Paramount, 2013
PG-13; 119 mins
4 stars (out of 5)

_______________________________________________________

I decided to finish out 2013 with a comedy, something to send me into next year with a smile on my face. Anchorman 2 was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be, so there were no disappointments. Alas, not all that many fun surprises either, cameos notwithstanding.

When we last saw Ron he and Veronica were anchoring San Diego. Here, as the 80s begin, they are now co-anchors in New York. But when Veronica is given the coveted nightly news desk and Ron is given the boot, things fall apart. Until . . .

Global News Network taps Ron for their 24-hour news channel launch. Then it's time to get the old team back together.

As ever, Carell's Brick Tamland is the high point of the movie. And another brawl amongst news teams is also fun—though not as much as the first time around. I also wish they'd explored Brian's interest in cats a bit more.

While overall the romp was pretty predictable, I enjoyed Anchorman 2 enough that I rate the movie four stars anyway. It was what I wanted when I wanted it, so I count that as a win. There's something to be said for satisfying a craving without need to embellish or embroider. Hungry for comedy? Anchorman 2 will sate you.

Happy New Year, everyone.

No comments: