10.20.2015

Television: The Leftovers (Season 2 so far)

So we're three episodes in and what do we think?

Well, I really enjoyed the first two episodes of the season, thought they were really strong. I know a lot of people didn't like that the second episode went over a lot of the same ground as the first, but I found it interesting to come at the story from both sides. Of course, the plot didn't advance at all. It's been mostly seed planting and character development thus far.

And then Episode 3 . . . Sigh. Again, I know a lot of people liked it, but I didn't. I don't like Laurie, even when she's trying to help people, and maybe I'm not supposed to. But I just couldn't care much about her situation. And then Tom being a new healer or whatever . . . I get that in the end the people leaving the GR are now just swapping one cult for another, and that the idea is they need something, and this is better than that. I dunno. It's all about plugging holes in the soul, I guess, which is an interesting topic, but the episode felt like a long way to go to that one end.

Still, this is one of the best things on television (that I'm watching, anyway). I only hope it hangs together now that we're beyond the source material.

No comments: